Saturday, March 6, 2010

Season Wrap-Up

As the BGSU ice hockey season draws to a close, I inevitably start trying to put the season into perspective. What did we achieve? What did we learn? Who stood out and who faded away?

Following the conclusion of the Falcons' run in the CCHA playoffs, the bulk of the posts will be about looking back on the season that was. As was the case at mid-season, I will name the "winners" of a series of awards. To review, I will name players for the following awards:

Freshman of the Year (Midseason winner: Jordan Samuels-Thomas)
Most Improved Player (Midseason winner: Tommy Dee)
Offensive MVP (Midseason winner: Tommy Dee)
Defensive MVP (Midseason winner: Kyle Page)
Flying Under the Radar (Midseason winner: Wade Finegan)
Team MVP (Midseason winner: Nick Eno)

In addition to these individual awards, I'll be giving commentary on all sorts of other issues as they come to mind. If you have any specific topics you'd like to see discussed, feel free to leave them in the comments. Also, if you'd like to give your opinions on any of the topics or awards I've pointed out here (or anything else, for that matter). Leave them in a comment and maybe I'll share them on the blog.

Anyway, BG is down 4-1 right now to Duh Mavs (Brennan Vargas just scored!) but things aren't looking pretty. Anything's possible, but it's going to take something surprising to turn this around. Anyone who knows me knows I don't believe it's over until the buzzer sounds, so I still have hope. But, should this game not go the way of the Falcons, you can expect the wrap-up posts to start within the next few days.

2 comments:

  1. I wouldn't suggest too much change from your midseason awards except for this: Petruska for Offensive MVP. Not sure I understand the "Flying under the Radar" the same way you do and I don't get to enough games to weigh in on the team MVP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tomas Petruska certainly made his case for Offensive MVP in the late-season games, especially with JS-T not seeming to have the same presence on the ice in the second half.

    The "Flying Under the Radar" one was sort of just an excuse to point out what I was seeing as a lot of potential in Wade Finegan at the mid-season break. He has a lot of heart and a bit of a mean streak and I like that. I'm not sure yet how that one will go for the post-season awards. I have a player or two in mind.

    As far as what that award means, it's basically my chance to take a stab in the dark and say, "This kid is going to be something special by the time he leaves." It's based more on feel than on statistics, and I'm sure there are better hockey minds to make that pick than me.

    A couple of the awards are pretty sure to stay the same. A couple will change. I'm still undecided on one or two.

    ReplyDelete