Friday, April 2, 2010

Coaching Search Concluding Soon? (via Sentinel-Tribune)

As spring rolls in and the collegiate hockey season comes to a close, the BG Sentinel-Tribune is reporting the BGSU Hockey coaching search is nearing a conclusion.

Jason Knavel, Assistant AD for Athletics Communication is quoted in the article as saying, "I would expect news within the next two weeks and possibly sooner than that depending on how quickly things progress."

So who is on the radar?

A number of names have been kicked around in the press and among BGSU hockey fans.

One obvious name that has been floated is former OSU coach and BGSU alum John Markell whose contract with the Buckeyes was not renewed. According to The Lantern, Markell's overall coaching record was 280-267-56. Despite a number of successful years, the Buckeyes' record over the past four seasons was 65-76-18.

The general opinion I've heard of this option is not a positive one. While I personally don't know enough about Markell to have a strong opinion, I've heard less than flattering opinions from people I trust when it comes to matters of CCHA hockey. As much as I would like to experience some of the success Markell brought to OSU (like a 1998 Frozen Four appearance), his inability to sustain or recreate that success is certainly a concern.

Another name I have heard mentioned is Todd Reirden, current Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins coach and former Falcon assistant. As much as I would love Todd to come to Bowling Green, I have to see it as a bit of a pipe dream. The last coach to lead the Baby Pens went on to the big show and won a Stanley Cup. Reirden has to be thinking he has the same opportunity if he sticks around.

I've made my feeling on the coaching search very clear - give Dennis Williams the chance to prove himself. I won't re-hash those feelings, as I've covered them in great detail, but I will be watching closely as the situation develops.

So, Falcon fans, who is on your short list of most wanted coaches for the BG icers? Who's your dream hire? Who do you think we'll end up with? Any long-shots you'd like to throw out there for potential bragging rights?

Please let me know what you're thinking in the comments, because I'm curious to hear the thoughts and opinions of people who follow these things more closely than I do.

3 comments:

  1. Markell's not on the radar and Stretch (Reirden) is enjoying the pros. The one name I keep hearing is Miami assistant Chris Bergeron. I think we're at 70-30 staying with Willy but Christopher's hockey knowledge is near zero so he's bound to eff it up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Falcon Hockey FanApril 2, 2010 at 10:03 PM

    I have heard that Cartwright formed an "advisory" group of former players to lend their advice and expertise in the search. If the administration follows their advice, we should be in good shape no matter who they name. That said...I truly hope it is Willy!!! He is doing everything we want our coach to do and deserves a chance to keep advancing this program!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if he is even interested but the only person I see being able to satisfy the falcon faithful besides Williams is Wayne Wilson.

    ReplyDelete